13 email marketing statistics for 2021’s marketers
As part of the HIPBlog’s strategy, we have a strategy for finding and updating our past posts, which allows us to give them more value and reduce the amount of original content our small team needs to make.
This has become increasingly more challenging in 2021, after a year where the pandemic shut down most in-person events and radically altered the way every business does business.
That being said, many posts can still be rewritten, revised, and added to, to improve upon them. We are looking for the posts we update to be a little better each time.
But often, there are posts that are too time-specific for us to repost. These are posts that have specific time-stamped statistics or reference specific news stories from a few years ago.
These are the deciduous trees of the content forest. Unlike their evergreen counterparts, these posts shed their leaves of knowledge year to year. But often structure that the leaves hang on, that is the tree itself, remains solid.
Today’s post is an example of that. We based it off of the post “23 email marketing statistics for 2018’s marketers.” The idea still works, but the statistics in it are hopelessly outdated.
Today’s post includes statistics about email marketing from 2020 and 2021 only to ensure the most timely statistics make the cut:
- 87% of B2B marketers use email as a primary distribution channel. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020)
- Email is the second most popular channel for sharing business content with other professionals (second only to LinkedIn). (Demand Gen Report, 2020)
- 70% of professionals use emails to share business content with their peers. (Demand Gen Report, 2020)
- 4.03 billion people used email in 2020. (Statista, 2021)
- Experts expect that 4.48 billion people will use email by 2024. (Statista, 2021)
- The average open rate in 2020 was 18%. (Campaign Monitor, 2021)
- The average click through rate in 2020 was 2.6%. (Campaign Monitor, 2021)
- 306.4 billion emails were sent per day in 2020. (Statista, 2021)
- A predicted 319.6 billion emails will be sent per day in 2021. (Statista, 2021)
- The top three email clients are Apple iPhone (at 38%), Gmail (27.2%), and Apple Mail (11.5%). (Litmus, 2021)
- 43% of emails were opened on mobile, 36.1% on webmail, and 19.4% on desktop so far in 2021. (Litmus, 2021)
- For webmail opens, Gmail dominates at 75%, followed Yahoo! Mail at 14.8% and Outlook.com at 2.4%. (Litmus, 2021)
- Apple Mail claims 58.9% of all desktop opens, followed by Outlook at 40%. (Litmus, 2021)
What conclusions do these 13 stats help you draw about the state of email today? How do you think the pandemic changed email? Have you noticed changes in your own email marketing as a result of the pandemic?